FYI Please lock all first floor windows or come up with some means of securing them so someone cannot enter your house via your windows on the first floor. In this instance this is how these burglars have been entering the properties.
Begin forwarded message:
Begin forwarded message:
Albany police are investigating two separate burglaries that occurred in the Pine Hills Neighborhood last weekend.On Sunday February 3, 2013 at approximately 1:25 a.m., officers responded to the 500 block of Warren Street for a report of a burglary. When officers arrived the residents stated that two males entered their home through an unlocked basement window in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. They told officers that they woke up while the suspects were still in the house and were forced into the living room where the suspects demanded money and their cell phones. The 32 year old male victim was struck in the head and arm with a blunt object during the incident. He sustained a fractured arm and a laceration to his head. Both suspects then fled the scene.On Sunday February 3, 2013 at approximately 9:45 a.m., officers responded to the 600 block of Mercer Street for a report of a burglary. When officers arrived the resident stated that someone had entered her apartment in the middle of the night while she was sleeping. She told officers that the suspect had entered through an unlocked basement window. She states that the suspect took items from her apartment and fled.Both victims were treated at the scene by firefighters and taken to St. Peter's Hospital. They were both treated and released.Anyone with information is asked to call the Albany Police Detectives Division at (518) 462-8039The Albany Police would like to remind the members of our community about the following burglary safety tips.· Make your home look occupied, and make it difficult to break in.
· Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave the house or go to bed. Even if it is for a short time, lock your doors.
· Leave lights on when you go out. If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
· Keep your garage door closed and locked.
· Don't allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or flyers build up while you are away. Arrange with the Post Office to hold your mail, or arrange for a friend or neighbor to take them regularly.
· Arrange for your lawn to be mowed if you are going away for an extended time.
· Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary.
· Pushbutton locks on doorknobs are easy for burglars to open. Install deadbolt locks on all your outside doors.
· Sliding glass doors are vulnerable. Special locks are available for better security.
Steven A. SmithPublic Information OfficerAlbany Police Department165 Henry Johnson BoulevardAlbany, New York 12206Work: (518) 462-8756Cell: (518) 469-2862